Title: The Order of The Death’s Head
Author: Heinz Höhne
Höhne, Heinz (1969, 2000). The Order of The Death’s Head: The Story of Hitler’s SS. New York: Penguin Books
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei. Schutzstaffel–History.
- National socialism.
- Germany–Politics and government–1933-1945.
- Translated from the German by Richard Barry.
- German: Orden unter dem Totenkopf
- First published New York: Coward, McCann and Geoghegan
Date Posted: September 25, 2015
Reviewed by Paul W. Blackstock and Frank L. Schaf
A completely documented history of the SS with a separate chapter on the Nazi party intelligence service under Himmler, the Sicherheitsdienst (SD). Unusual detail on organization. Describes the evolution of the party intelligence service from its original role of imposing party security to a foreign intelligence mission directly competing with the military intelligence service (the Abwehr).
 Blackstock, Paul W. (1978) and Frank L. Schaf, Jr. Intelligence, Espionage, Counterespionage, And Covert Operations: A Guide to Information Sources. Detroit: Gale Research Co., p. 265